Martin Morris has written a history of Longford Town Council to coincide with the dissolution of the Council at the end of May. Martin traces the Council’s origins back to 1668 when Longford Borough Corporation was established by a charter granted by King Charles II. This body played a very limited role as a local authority until it was abolished in 1840. A board of Commissioners existed from 1828 until 1846; Longford Town Commissioners was first formed in 1855 and Longford Urban District Council was established in 1900, renamed Longford Town Council in 2002.
On Wednesday, June 4th at 2pm in St. Joseph’s Care Centre in Longford the DVD “From the Workhouse to the County Home: a Longford Story” will be launched by Bishop Colm O’Reilly. All members are welcome to attend. Co. Longford Historical Society has funded the production of the DVD which sells for €10, with €2 of each sale going to Longford Social Services. We would encourage all our members to support this very worthwhile project. Copies will be available at St. Joseph’s Care Centre, Baxter’s Chemist and the Presbytery, Longford or from Committee members. You can also order it by contacting 087 2226037, cost €11 including postage.
The DVD is the outcome of an oral history project that began under the auspices of the HSE. A number of people associated with the County Home, such as former staff members, were interviewed about their experiences there. One of these was the late Sr Calasanctius Duffy, who worked in St Joseph’s for about forty years and served as matron. Extracts from the interviews have been skilfully edited and the many old photographs used contribute to a very impressive production, telling the story from 1842 when the Workhouse was founded, to the St. Joseph’s of modern times.
The date for the Autum tour is September 12th, bus leaves Cathedral Car Park Longford at 10am sharp, taking in, Drumshanbo, Dromahair, Parkes Castle, Drumcliffe, Mullaghmore, Sligo and Lissadell House. Total cost €50. Members wishing to travel please send full amount to Maureen Mulryan at 7 St. Emer’s – contact number 043 33 48821. Evening meal in the Bush Hotel, Carrick on Shannon.
We thank those in the Farrell Clan who organised the trip to Clontarf on April 23rd and the very informative talk by Dr. Sean Duffy of Trinity College on ‘Brian Boru and the Battle of Clontarf’.
The following outings are planned:
- Day Trip, May 10th 2014
- Summer Tour, June 23rd to 27th 2014